Knotmeter - August 22, 2013
Knotmeter - August 22, 2013
Web Improvements and Online Member Services
We have launched our new website which is a big improvement over our previous one. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the launch. Over the coming months we will be adding to the Members Area and will also be launching a mobile site so members can have quick access to key info when they are on the go.
The Members Area contains the Member Roster, your online account, ability to edit your contact info, plus previous Board and AGM minutes and docuemts.
If you haven't already logged in you can do so by clicking "Members Area" on the top right hand side of the page.
If you do not know your login, it is your member number such as "A123". If you need to reset your password, you can do so by clicking "Forgot your password or username?"
Any questions should be directed to the Main Office by emailing email@example.com or calling 613.548.3052 x1
New Harbour - Latest Design
After several iterations with Shoreplan engineering, we are pleased to now have the latest revised design of the new harbour. The goal was to widen the fairways, maximize the use of the lot, and respond to concerns about JS launch and swimming. The strategic planning committee has reviewed the design, and has determined that this concept meets the criteria of our new harbour.
The Orange Buoy which marks the end of Dock F has been moved to reflect the new location and width of the entrance to the harbour. Please check it out as you use our harbour.
Basic concepts and evolution from the previous design:
- Rotate the breakwater towards the SE corner of the water lot
- Move the docks to 90 degrees to break water
- Slide the docks west if needed
- Add a ramp on the outside of the east of the dock / of attenuator about 30 ft. long - for swimming and boat launch
- Add a swim station at about 50% along the attenuator. The intention that this is similarly substantial as the attenuator
- Add a dock on the outside of the south side exterior ramp to facilitate boat staging and launch
- Make the ramp to the attenuator the same width as the attenuator. To facilitate boat launch, fire/ rescue and the possibility of accessible access and possible golf cart/ gator access
- Shorten the east Dock (F) by changing 4 slips to 30 ft. boats
- Shorten Dock (E) using the same strategy
- Add 2 * 40 slips on the east side of dock (E) and (D)
- Allow access to the harbour and docks for large yachts on a “straight in” basis
The new design and complete background on the New Harbour project can be found here:
Feedback is welcome, and should be submitted by emailing:
Friday, September 13th
Join us for our final TGIF sail of the year! The goal here is to get non-boaters on the water for an enjoyable evening on the lake!
If you are interested in participating email Glenn at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate whether you are a boater or non-boater or sign up at the office or bar. The evening will cap off with social time, munchies, food special etc!
Congratulation to all KYC Sailors for a great regatta at CORK OCR this week!
What a great week at CORK OCR. Congratulations to all the sailors, coaches, parents, volunteers who helped make the regatta such a success for CORK and KYC
The following are some highlights of the KYC Sailors:
- Danielle Boyd and her Skipper Erin Rafuse came 2nd in the 49erFX class
- John Curtis and his Skipper Andrew Yates came 1st in the International 14 Class
- Robert Davis came 6th in the Laser class
- Violet Stafford came 6th and Hugh Macrae came 10th in the Laser Radial class
Way to go KYC!
Full results online: www.cork.org/2013-results/
Upcoming Events at KYC August 23 JS Awards Night Aug 31-Sep 2 Labour Day Cruise Sackett's Harbour Sep 6-8 IOM Eastern Regional Championship Sep 7 Carruthers Series Sep 11 Women in Wind - Wednesday Night Sail Program ends Sep 13 TGIF Sail Sep 14 Amherst Island Pursuit Race & Able Sail Fundraiser Sept 19 Women in Wind - AGM Sept 26 Last Weeknight Race Sept 27 Last day of Patio Menu (bar remains open) For a complete list of upcoming events please visit:www.kingstonyachtclub.com/calendar
September Food Service
Being that everyone is enjoying this year's patio menu as well as the new patio it has been decided to continue food service until Friday, September 27th.
The menu will be altered slightly with daily service from 11:30am until 8:00pm. Click here for more details!
PADI Diver Certification Opportunity
September 4th, 6th ,11th, 13th
Open to KYC members & friends to learn from the worlds most recognized & respected training organizations. See the wondrous world beneath the waves!
Canadian Power Squadron - Fall and Winter Course Schedule
The Canadian Power Squadron course schedule for the fall and winter is now available here.
Visit their website for full info:
Amherst Island Pursuit Race
& Able Sail Kingston Regatta
Saturday, September 14, 2013
Skipper's Meeting: 9:00 AM -- First Start: 10:00 AM
The 13th Annual Amherst Island Pursuit Race will for the third time run as a fundraiser for Able Sail Kingston, which offers recreational and competitive sailing instruction for persons with disabilities. This event is completely run and organized by local volunteers. The 2013 fundraising goal is $5000.
- Pre-Race Breakfast
- 26.4 Nautical Mile Course
- Race flags will be awarded in each division
- Open to all lake Ontario sailors including BQYC, CBYC, KYC, & PEYC
- Spinnaker and White Sail Handicaps available
- Cruisers Welcome!
- Photographer will be taking pictures that will be available for download after the event
- Staggered Starts based on PHRF Handicap
- Rendezvous Finish at Loyalist Cove Marina
- Post Race Barbecue & Party with DJ! BYOB, Dinner starts at 5:30 PM.
- Apres-BBQ Campfire.. it might go late!
Full Details can be found on the regatta website:
Hours of Operation
† Special events schedule will determine weekly office schedule for Saturday, Sunday & Monday
Bar Kitchen Gas Dock Office Monday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p Variable† Tuesday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p 9a-5p Wednesday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p 9a-5p Thursday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p 9a-5p Friday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p 9a-5p Saturday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p Variable† Sunday 11a -10p 11a -9p 8a-6p Variable†
For more information on other KYC events and programs please visit our website. www.kingstonyachtclub.com